Friday, August 31, 2012

In the Kitchen: Maja Blanca



I love to share this merienda recipe I just learned to cook. Actually, back in high school, I sold these everyday to my classmates for one peso per slice which is as big as the slice above. Imagine?  How cheap it was back then. It was my mom who used to cook this and never did I try to cook it on my own.
I know how, though.
She used cornstarch or third class flour mixed with coconut milk, refined sugar and young coconut meat, sweet corn or crushed peanuts.

I got curious of the ingredients other folks use because the way they tasted, there's really a difference in the consistency of the maja blanca and I like the other's taste better. Good thing I found an old recipe book owned by my grandmother and discovered that instead of flour or cornstarch, they have used probably the soaked rice ground finely.

After trying it on my own, here's the recipe you may also try:

Ingredients:

1 cup rice
1 1/2 cups water
3 cups coconut milk
1 cup white/refined sugar

Procedure:

1. Soak the rice in the water for at least 4 hours. I did mine for 8 hours because I was a bit busy. Before grinding, wash the rice first. Just make sure that the amount of water mixed with the rice which is like 1 1/2 cups is still the same.

2. Mix all the ingredients and bring to a boil until thick.

3. Smooth over in medium heat for about 20 minutes and place in a plate. Top with cheese.

Variations:

You can also mix to it nuts, buko (young coconut) meat, sweet corn or cheese. I mixed cheese in mine.






5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! This looks so simple and very few ingredients, looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maja blanca is one of my most favorite "kakanin". It's yummy and very easy to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love maja blanca! I featured the one-step maja mix in my blog a few months ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of it, but it's sure pretty (and so is your presentation of it!). Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristine... thank you so much! I have always wanted to make these and first, I didn't know what it was called, and two, recipes like these need to come from a good source, ie an actual Filipino. Thank you for sharing! Grace, peace and blessings, Carla

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to read this post. Now, I am eager to read your thoughts, too!

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...