Monday, October 8, 2012

Beware of the Virus Spreading now in Skype!

I missed blogging!

If not for the virus or worm whatever that is quickly spreading now in Skype, maybe I already did post something early this afternoon. It took my 5 hours away.

First, I received a message from one of my contacts stating like this:

"hey ito sa iyong larawan sa profile? http://goo.gl/5q1sx?img=teacher_pie"

I was alarmed! I thought somebody might be fooling around with me. Then I did what most of you won't. I clicked it! And! Unzipped the file!

In less than a second, my account had already sent a message containing the virus to all of my Skype contacts. It says like this:

 "lol is this your new profile pic? http://goo.gl/5q1sx?img=(the skype username here)

Wow! The author of this virus is really brilliant! It is programmed to automatically place the username in the link so the greater chance for you to believe it's true!

Then, of course, my online contacts reacted to it, some were innocent while some had already known about it because they received so many messages like this in the past.

I wasn't even able to reply to most of the messages because my computer just hanged up. A friend suggested to uninstall the Skype program. It took me a long time, you know. The system was really slow.

I then downloaded Malwarebyte Anti-malware and did a quick scan which resulted to 8 viruses! After removing, Skype was installed again and I feel so relieved when the system got back to normal again.

The first 20 minutes of being online in Skype got me soo busy answering messages about the virus that my account sent. :)

P.S.

I forgot to tell that I also changed my Skype password and clicked the Tools from the menu, then Options,  Advanced, Manage other Programs' Access to Skype, and removed all the .exe files.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to read this post. Now, I am eager to read your thoughts, too!

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...